I’m loving the long weekend just like you guys. I can assure you that I will stay hydrated throughout this last hurrah of summer, I assure you.
Last week I attended the Midwest Brewers Fest in Plainfield. There was a great turnout with a nice fun-loving peaceful crowd. The weather was brutal though. Temps were just under 90° under full sun. My legs gave out after the first hour. The quarter-mile walk to the grounds didn’t help at all. I spent a lot of time sitting under canopies and trudging to the nearest tent for another sample when I recovered. My 3 sons and their two buddies kept my 2-ounce plastic glass filled with great tastes from the local breweries from distant tents. Thankfully, Illinois laws were passed that allowed homebrews to be served at these public events and MASH was represented proudly.
The best taste that I experienced there was a rootbeer mead from Small Town Brewery up in Wauconda, Illinois. The taste was out of this world. A nicely sweet rootbeer taste overall with 10% alcohol. Outstanding! I also met up with one of the guys at Urban Legend Brewing Co. up in Westmont, Illinois. Four of us were wearing SPT-shirts and I guess they caught his eye. He offered us a personal tour of the brewery and a nice tasting session. We’ll take him up on it forthwith. If that happens, I’ll post pictures and a nice article.
That same evening we attended my buddy Jeff’s annual pig roast at his house. He had a live band playing oldies on the back deck and there were many members of the homebrew club there. I brought along the keg with the rest of my Spook Powder homebrew, just over 3 1/2 gallons worth.
Once word got around, the keg was drained in under an hour. I was disappointed and surprised.
“Hey, Frank. There’s a guy over here who wants to talk to you.”
Uh-oh. When someone says that, I always think that I’m in trouble for something, but I always see it through, good or bad.
For some reason, Jeff knew two guys from Church Street Brewing out of Itasca, Illinois, and they were at his party. They asked me if I made the beer that they were drinking. I said yes.
“This is the closest thing Zombie Dust that we’ve ever tasted.”
I was ecstatic. We discussed the recipe ingredients and that the Citra hops carried the whole flavor. They then offered a tour of their brewery in the near future. I hoped they thought that I knew what I was talking about.
The president of the homebrew club came over to congratulate me.
He said, “You know what this means, don’t you? You gotta brew it again.”
And I will. With some minor modifications, keeping in mind my own thoughts on how to increase mouthfeel and maybe up the gravity a bit.
I don’t mean to toot my own horn here, but I would just like to share the great experience I had on that one Saturday in August. I still understand that I am not an expert on beer and I’m not a whiz at homebrewing, but the whole day was like hitting a slot machine jackpot or a small Lotto prize.
Now some site news in a nutshell:
- Comments to posts will be closed after 10 days in order to reduce comment spam.
- There will be no more star ratings for the Humpday Honeys because I just can’t remember to compose and include them. Also, it really doesn’t give any positive feedback.
- I’d like to mail off more SPT stickers. Just because I have a lot of ’em. Send me an email and I’ll send you some stickers. Shit. They’re FREE! I put the stamp on the envelope. YOU send the email.
- I have about 8 XL SPT-shirts in a plastic bag sitting next to my computer desk. If you’d like one in that size, email me and make arrangements for a $24 deposit to our PayPal account. I’ll ship it out right away. These are “first running” t-shirts, sort of prototypes. They will become collectors items someday. Pftt!
- Things that concern me about their popularity on the site include the Food posts on Wednesdays and Red Green on Thursdays. I wonder if you’d like something else. All the rest of the themed posts will remain the same.
Hmm. Rather lengthy for a Frankly. I feel that I hafta reassure you again that I still love doing this shit and I look forward to posting every day with content that’s relevant to our lifestyles. Did that sound right? PROOFREADER! Where are you?