Frankly speaking

Jesus Christ, what a weekend! I must have gotten bit by some insect right at the base of my hairline on the neck on Friday and it swelled up and became very painful. Soon, it felt like I was getting sick, like just before you get the flu. Saturday afternoon, I came down with the shivers. I sat out in the garage with my winter Carharrt jacket and that didn’t do any good. I shook so uncontrollably that I couldn’t hold the mouse. I tossed that thing all over the place trying to get the Slinks done. A brew review was out of the question. I went to bed at 7 p.m. and woke up at 10 a.m. Sunday. I’m feeling a lot better, but not quite 100% yet. Maybe by Monday I’ll be back to “normal.”

Thanks for the great comments you guys offered and the vote of confidence. It gave me a better understanding and appreciation of who the readers are. You guys rock!

Now here’s an update on the site:

All of this site shit started when the site started getting slow about two weeks ago. This was right after Hostgator’s server migration and upgrade. I have been, and still am in contact with HostGator’s tech support. One of their first suggestions was to get rid of a couple of plugins which I did. Didn’t help.

Then the site went down with that dreaded 403 Forbidden error. I should have jumped on the phone right away and called them, rather than resort to the slow emails. They suggested removing a couple of more plugins. The next day, none of the scheduled posts were up. They had missed the scheduled times.

They mentioned that the WordPress Cron feature was defective. That’s the thing that schedules stuff like posts, database maintenance, anything that has to do with work at a certain time. They said that WP’s cron was known to act up at times and a bit of research verified that. They suggested that I use the HostGator cron function instead and gave me a link to their page with some text that I copy/pasted into the appropriate box.

The following day, the dreaded 403 Forbidden error showed up and we were all locked out, except for me. I could still get on. Stupidly, I figured that was still pretty good until the emails about the 403 came in. More emails. Somehow, the account was suspended and the 403 went up. The tech updated the cron again. He then unsuspended the account and we were back.

I threw up the Slinks and it missed posting time as well. I manually published it this morning right when I got up. That’s where we sit right now. For the present time, I will have to manually publish the posts at the proper time which shouldn’t be so bad as long as I can make it midnight or as long as you guys don’t mind getting the new daily posts sometime in the morning. For now, we wait for HG to get this cron stuff ferretted out.

UPDATE 8/11, 8:20 p.m.: The tech found another error in the cron text and corrected it. Let’s see how it goes.

I kegged my homebrew last Tuesday and after a day in the kegerator, I charged it with CO2 at 30 psi for the next three days. Since this was a Zombie Dust clone, I thought I’d call it “Spook Powder.” Friday afternoon, I bled off some pressure and filled a sanitized bomber with the beer to offer at the homebrew club meeting that night. A couple of quick sips from that filling told me I really had something. At the meeting, the beer was a bog hit with the members and 3 guys asked me for the recipe. I’ve got to admit that this batch was one of the best I’ve made.

It has been quite a trying and eventful past few days and I’m glad you all hung in there through the 403 shit and this insect plague that I have. Things should be a lot better on Monday.

This entry was posted in Frankly speaking, opinion. Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to Frankly speaking

  1. SkipHerr says:

    Great to hear you and the site are on the mend.

  2. Terry says:

    Frank, you don’t think a little 403 error and the webmaster down with ‘Spook Powder’ flu will scare us off. Nah! Keep pluggin’ away buddy.

  3. fcgrabo says:

    ‘Spook Powder’ flu. That’s great.

Comments are closed.